BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

On Jejemons...

They are still humans and we know that. But the point is that they are bastardizing the language whether be it in English or in Filipino. Language is evolving fast, but not to the extent that everyone doesn't know how to spell and write (or type) correctly anymore.

Let us take for example the time when text messaging became popular. Because of text messaging, many people forgot how to spell correctly and their vocabulary became limited as well. It's the same as those "Jejemons". "Jejemons" are also violating many rules of grammar (again, in both English and Filipinos). Because of "jeje-typing", proper punctuations are often ignored and misused.

Being an English teacher, I noticed the effects of text messaging and jeje-typing. How? By their theme writing. I can't believe that some (I said "some) students are short-cutting words and do jeje-typing (or jeje-writing) in their compositions. This is an insult to their teachers and their former teachers as well. It is also a hard task for the teachers to correct this if the children are used on jeje-writing.

It's not a mockery to the "Jejemons", it's just that language should be respected. Do I hate jejemons? I don't hate them as a person but I don't like the way they are treating our language.

Just my opinion. :)

0 comments: